269 Creatures the World Forgot

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

269 Creatures the World Forgot

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:06 am

CREATURES THE WORLD FORGOT
(Don Chaffey, 1971)
Release date: 18 July 2022
Limited Edition Blu-ray

Pre-order here

SEE prehistoric love rites! SEE primitive chieftains duel in naked fury! SEE the young lovers sacrificed! SEE staked girl menaced by giant python!

Following the enormous success of One Million Years B.C. in 1965, Hammer embarked on a series of prehistoric adventures over the next five years, concluding with Creatures the World Forgot. Directed by Don Chaffey – previously responsible for One Million Years B.C., not to mention the Ray Harryhausen classic Jason and the Argonauts – the film swapped dinosaurs for more adult content, starred former Miss Norway and ex-Bond girl Julie Ege (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service), and earned itself an ‘X’ certificate in the process. Even today, it still rates an ‘18’ from the BBFC.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with author and critic Kim Newman (2022)
• Hammer’s Women: Julie Ege (2022): profile of the Norwegian actor and model
• David Huckvale on Mario Nascimbene (2022): an appreciation of the film’s by the author of Hammer Film Scores and the Musical Avant-Garde
• Three Children's Film Foundation films directed by Don Chaffey: Skid Kids (1953): story about a group of young cyclists; A Good Pull-up (1953): a handyman gets himself into trouble at a workers' café; Watch Out (1953): following the escapades of Dickie Duffle as he tours a film studio
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image galleries: promotional and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay on the film, archival interviews and articles, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 5,000 copies for the UK
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD269
BBFC cert: 18
REGION B
EAN: 5060697922332

willoneill

Re: 269 Creatures the World Forgot

#2 Post by willoneill » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:15 pm

Does this solo Hammer release imply that there won't be any more Hammer box sets?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:24 pm

I would guess it's more that none of the previous boxes have been rated higher than 15, and they don't want to limit future sales of a box by having a single 18-rated title in it

Dr Amicus

#4 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:27 pm

When I first watched this, I renamed it Creatures the Film Forgot - there is a distinct lack of creatures.

It’s not exactly good as such, but fits in interestingly with the Karnstein films as examples of Hammer taking advantage of looser censorship, especially in respect of nudity. Much as I can think of more worthy Hammers to get the special box treatment, that’s not going to stop me getting this one.

It also leaves When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth as the last Hammer prehistoric to be released in the UK, I don’t think it ever had a DVD release.

willoneill

#5 Post by willoneill » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:52 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:24 pm
I would guess it's more that none of the previous boxes have been rated higher than 15, and they don't want to limit future sales of a box by having a single 18-rated title in it
God I haven't considered ratings at all in nearly 25 years. Yeah that makes a lot of sense, thanks.

EddieLarkin

#6 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:55 pm

swo17 wrote:
I would guess it's more that none of the previous boxes have been rated higher than 15, and they don't want to limit future sales of a box by having a single 18-rated title in it.
I'd be surprised if that was the case, the number of 15-17 year olds buying Indicator discs will be vanishingly small, and the few that do will not give one shit about buying and watching an 18 rated film.

I suspect it's simply a case of this title not fitting into what may be their final volume, either thematically or because they already have 4 films lined up for it.

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:32 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:55 pm
swo17 wrote:
I would guess it's more that none of the previous boxes have been rated higher than 15, and they don't want to limit future sales of a box by having a single 18-rated title in it.
I'd be surprised if that was the case, the number of 15-17 year olds buying Indicator discs will be vanishingly small, and the few that do will not give one shit about buying and watching an 18 rated film.

I suspect it's simply a case of this title not fitting into what may be their final volume, either thematically or because they already have 4 films lined up for it.
Agreed, more likely this just doesn't fit in an upcoming Hammer set. Some were proposing Indicator might get hold of four Universal titles Final Cut previously released, for example (The Brides of Dracula, The Curse of the Werewolf, The Kiss of the Vampire, The Evil of Frankenstein), or alternatively something like Paranoiac along with The Ugly Duckling (Sony) and maybe some others from StudioCanal (The Nanny, The Anniversary, Hell is a City, Frankenstein Created Woman).

Someone else suggested this could be a precursor to a set of titles like She, The Viking Queen, Slave Girls, The Vengeance of She, and maybe The Lost Continent (all of which are StudioCanal as well). I guess we'll find out soon enough what Indicator's plans with Hammer titles turn out to be! Either way, I hope they manage to do at least one more box set.

Orlac

#8 Post by Orlac » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:58 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:27 pm

It also leaves When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth as the last Hammer prehistoric to be released in the UK, I don’t think it ever had a DVD release.
WDRTE was a mainstay on BBC in the 90s - minus the nude scene. I recall the giant crabs terrified me when I was six!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:54 am

Pre-orders of CREATURES THE WORLD FORGOT will arrive with a previously unannounced set of exclusive art cards, not to be found elsewhere!
This comes out Monday, but direct orders will presumably continue to come with the art cards while supplies last. You do have to order directly from Powerhouse to get them though

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:40 pm

SEE staked girl menaced by giant python!
Indicator put this into the wrong browser window

L.A.

#11 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:45 pm

Orlac

#12 Post by Orlac » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:55 am

It says something about the movie that he wasn't able to find many nudie shots!

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:48 am

Final specs:

Finch

#14 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:27 am